Here is a lesson plan idea for teachers or parents for grades K-1. This lesson plan focuses on character.
Supplies: The book Red Penguin and the Missing Sushi by Eileen Wacker (order here), art supplies, character map
Objective: Learn about character traits
- Read Red Penguin and the Missing Sushi to your child or students.
- Discuss character traits with your child or students. Character traits are unique attributes of a person. When we describe a person or thing we usually describe its attributes.
- Tell your child or student that “character traits is not what a person looks like but acts like, character traits describe what is inside”.
- Here is a list of words that describe character traits - some of these words are too sophisticated for K-1 but many are understandable and some are perfect challenge words for kids.
- Draw on a piece of paper or chalk board a character map.
- Place Red Penguin in the middle of the map.
- Draw extensions and write various traits that Red Penguin has on the extensions.
- Do this activity with your child or students.
- Have your child or students do an art piece – a character picture - featuring Red Penguin.
- Encourage your child to incorporate Red Penguin’s traits in the art piece.